Follow-up for Modeling with Algebra and Modeling with Geometry Summer Institutes
Modeling with Geometry Summer Institute on 10-15 July and 1-2 August 2016
Algebra Modelling Part II
The final Modspar Webinar for the 2015-2016 school year is scheduled for Wednesday April 20th, 2016 at 8:00pm. Tomorrow the presentation will be facilitated by Greg Foley and Steve Phelps.
You did not have to attend Algebra Modelling Part I to participate!
The link for tomorrow evening’s webinar is:
Hope to “see” you there!
The Ohio University Modspar program has been redesigned this year to offer two summer professional development institutes in mathematical modeling:
- Modeling with Algebra June 19–24 and August 1–2, which explores the general proportional model, discrete dynamical systems, and modeling with functions. Read more. And,
- Modeling with Geometry July 10–15 and August 1–2, which investigates geometric transformations, coordinate systems, and three-dimensional and spherical geometry. Read more.
Both programs are designed to help teachers improve their content knowledge and instruction in mathematical modeling with the goal of improving student achievement and college readiness. All Ohio Grade 9–12 teachers are welcome, including special education teachers and intervention specialists. Sessions are led by Ohio University faculty and by master teachers who have successfully navigated many of the daily challenges you face. The program benefits include STIPENDS and FREE materials, FREE meals and parking, and optional graduate credit at a reduced cost of $600 for 4 semester hours, a $1,732 savings! This summer’s Modspar program is funded by a $175,598 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program, which is administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
Please consider participating this summer and registering soon. It is possible to complete both modeling programs in the same summer, since both groups combine into a single learning community after the preliminary summer institute week.
For more information, visit https://www.ohio.edu/education/college-offices/office-of-the-dean/morton/modspar.cfm. To register, click here. For program questions, contact Mary Harmison at HarmisoM@ohio.edu.
The ATC program offered two types of summer professional development institutes in summer 2015: QUANT and Modspar. The QUANT program will not be offered at Ohio University during summer 2016. However, two Modspar programs will be offered at Ohio University in 2016:
- Modeling with Algebra Summer Institute on 19-24 June and 1-2 August 2016
- Modeling with Geometry Summer Institute on10-15 July and 1-2 August 2016
Pre-registration will open soon. Check here for registration links and information.
Here’s what past ATC scholars have said:
“I enjoyed becoming more comfortable with the technology.”
“The institutes were content-rich.”
- “Absolutely excellent.”
- “The BEST professional development available to high school (mathematics) teachers. The BEST model with follow-up.”
- “[Now]…I help my students to be critical thinkers by asking questions that are of high cognitive demand. I also engage my students in team work and collaborative activities to help them develop their communicating skills. In addition, I incorporate technology in my teaching so students can have multiple representations of …concepts.”